Friday, December 16, 2011

Man the Beast and the Wild, Wild WomenMan the Beast and the Wild, Wild Women by Virgil Franklin Partch (VIP)
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This collection of cartoons is the kind of cocktail napkin humor that has been forced into near extinction by contemporary political correctness, but if you want to relive those good old days of booze, broads, cigarettes and Mad Men, or if you aren't old enough to have lived through it and want to know what that era was like, pour yourself a highball and peruse the cartoons of ViP. ViP was Virgil Franklin Partch, who was a cartoonist for True, a men's magazine, published by Fawcett, that had been around since 1937 (it lasted until 1975).

Although I've seen a lot of Gold Medal paperback collections of ViP cartoons--Fawcett was the parent company of both GM and True--this was the first Dell collection I've seen.

There's a funny footnote to my buying this today. I only had this one book when the cashier rang up the sale. He looked at the book, smiled, then looked sheepish for a second, scratched his head and said, "Um . . . that'll be thirteen and half . . . no, um, fourteen cents . . ." I confirmed that he was only asking me for fourteen cents. He said, yeah that's why we're called "Half-Price Books," he said, pointing to the cover price of 25 cents.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment